Rehabs That Accept United Healthcare Insurance
United HealthCare is one of the largest insurance companies in the country, offering a full suite of healthcare services to customers through employer, specialized, and Medicare-based programs. They can offer significant coverage for alcohol and drug rehab as well. While the exact scope of coverage for each patient is different according to their insurance plans, United HealthCare Insurance Plans cover a wide range of substance abuse services to make treatment more affordable and accessible to patients who need it. Coverage for substance abuse treatment services is administered through designated plan types, including preferred partner organizations (PPO) and different Medicare plans. United Healthcare administers coverage through a separate division called United Behavioral Health.
United Behavioral Health’s Coverage Resources
The United Behavioral Health national network includes more than eighty thousand licensed and certified professionals, including
They also provide both inpatient and outpatient treatment at over 3,600 locations. There is no charge for referrals to a network provider, but services may require preauthorization and a copayment. The company is mindful of the role that substance abuse plays in the American workforce and therefore works with employers to provide comprehensive coverage of treatment for substance use disorders (SUDs) for their staffs.
Addiction Services Covered by United Behavioral Health
Levels of care offered by United Behavioral Health include:
- Inpatient – Hospital-provided care to address the medical and behavioral elements of alcohol and drug addiction, these services can include detox, rehab, medication administration, and ongoing aftercare in an ambulatory setting.
- Outpatient and Intensive Outpatient Programs (IOPs) – Multiple weekly treatment sessions per week, consisting of group therapy, individualized counseling, supplemental therapies and more. IOPs involve more frequent and longer treatment sessions.
- Partial Hospitalization Program – Structured day programs that provides hours-long treatment sessions each day
- Residential Treatment Facility – Clients stay at their treatment facilities for an average of twenty-eight days and receive targeted, in-depth care in a distraction-free environment.
Level of coverage will be contingent upon medical necessity, insurance resources, and other factors. United Behavioral Health can also provide treatment for co-occurring mental illness, such as depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, and more.
Substance abuse care procedures covered by United Behavioral Health include:
- Diagnosis, evaluation, assessment, and treatment planning
- Treatment and/or procedures
- Medication management and other associated treatments
- Individual, family, and group therapy
- Provider-based case management
- Crisis intervention
These services are meant to provide care at each stage of the addiction treatment cycle.
Phases of Treatment: Detox and Behavioral Rehab
Detox and rehab are the cornerstones of addiction treatment and are generally either partially or completely covered by United HealthCare and United Behavioral Health. They are critical in addressing the physical and behavioral aspects of the disease of addiction.
The phases include:
- Detox – Addiction is a medical disease and accordingly should be diagnosed, treated, and covered by insurance. Detox is the first stage in the treatment process and involves the elimination of toxins that have built up in the system as a result of prolonged and untreated alcohol or drug abuse. Detox programs typically last three to seven days and are covered by insurance if deemed medically necessary. The process should be overseen by experienced and qualified doctors.
- Behavioral Rehab – Behavioral rehab is the process by which patients address the psychological and behavioral causes and ramifications of their substance abuse. Depending upon patients’ alcohol or drug use history and their care, they may need targeted, in-depth, and long-term residential treatment. Often, however, they will benefit from regular outpatient programs and IOPs. Rehab generally consists of group therapy, counseling, and specific therapeutic techniques that will vary according to patients’ care needs and facility resources.
Substance Abuse Rehab Aftercare Services Covered by United HealthCare
In many cases, United Behavioral Health will also cover various aftercare services, including MAT for opioid use disorder, including drugs like Suboxone (buprenorphine), Vivitrol (naltrexone), and methadone. Insurance may also cover all or part of sober-living and transitional housing for eligible patients. These housing structures are often game-changing resources in helping patients get back on their feet and to incrementally reclaim their independence in recovery. Sober-living and transitional housing is more likely to be covered if it’s part of an overall inpatient or residential behavioral rehab program.
Find Out If You’re Covered Today.
If you or someone you care about is struggling from alcohol or drug addiction, and you’re covered by United HealthCare, start exploring your options for coverage today. Browse our database of treatment centers to find rehabs that accept United Healthcare and to find the option that’s best for you. Once you or your loved one has chosen a facility, a representative from their admissions department will be able to conduct a full insurance verification to determine your scope of coverage. Don’t let money or logistics stop you from taking your life back from alcohol or drug addiction.