Rehabs That Accept Magellan Insurance
Magellan Insurance Company is a trusted and established insurance provider offering a variety of benefits packages. Plans cover a variety of healthcare needs, including acute emergency medical care, physician and specialist visits, prescription drugs, behavioral health and more. Substance abuse and mental health services benefits are covered under their Magellan Complete Care umbrella, which offers five distinct plans for patients in New York, Massachusetts, Virginia, Florida, and Arizona.
These plans cover a wide array of addiction and behavioral health services through Medicaid subsidies and other publicly funded entities. If you or your loved one is currently struggling with substance abuse or mental health issues and are covered by Magellan insurance, you have options for coverage.
What Type of Behavioral Health Services Does Magellan Insurance Cover?
Magellan Complete Care offers coverage for a wide range of behavioral health treatment services, including but not limited to:
- Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab – Residential programs that offer group therapy, individualized counseling and supplemental therapies such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), motivational interviewing, art therapy and more, depending upon patients’ resources and the facility’s care offerings. These programs generally last 28 to 30 days and can include “step-down” options to outpatient care. These programs can also offer transitional housing and sober living resources for patients who need extra time getting back on their feet after immediate treatment.
- Outpatient and Intensive Outpatient Treatment – Outpatient behavioral rehab offers an ideal combination of flexibility and quality. They offer multiple weekly treatment sessions and generally run from four to eight weeks, depending on whether they’re intensive or regular programs. Treatment consists of group therapy, individualized counseling and supplemental therapies that are specific to each patient’s care needs and the respective facility’s resources. Outpatient rehab is the most common type of addiction treatment paradigm and is the most readily covered type of care.
- Medical Detoxification and Withdrawal Management – Magellan Complete Care and other Medicaid-based options offer coverage for medically supervised treatment for the acute stages of alcohol and drug withdrawal. Detox is a fundamental part of the treatment process and allows patients to expel the toxins that have built up in their bodies through prolonged and untreated substance use. Detox programs generally last around three to seven days and depending on patients’ progress and their ongoing care needs. The process should be overseen by an experienced and qualified medical professional who is trained to relief for withdrawal symptoms and intervene in the event of a medical emergency
Medication-Assisted Treatment Provided by Magellan
Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) has emerged as one of the most effective forms of treating opioid use disorder for drugs like prescription opioids, heroin, and fentanyl. It has been declared the gold standard by many in the treatment community and has proven even more effective when combined with treatment resources like detox and comprehensive behavioral rehab. Magellan’s MAT treatment resources offer access to drugs like buprenorphine (Suboxone), Vivitrol (Naltrexone) acamprosate and methadone.
Their MAT initiative:
- Focuses on patients who have been discharged from inpatient substance use treatment programs
- Targets individuals receiving outpatient or disease management services
- Monitors the number of cases in which physicians are prescribing medications and follow member readmission rates
- Involves continual collaboration with Magellan’s health plan partners to help facilitate the incorporation of these medications into client formularies
- Advocates provider education on the importance of using appropriate medications when developing members’ substance use disorder treatment plans.
The organization also offers specialized coverage for opioid use disorder rehab, ambulatory detox, addiction-related chronic pain management, screening, and diagnostic services and a variety of other addiction treatment services.
Co-Occurring Disorder Coverage
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) reports that over eight million Americans suffer from simultaneous substance use disorder and mental illness. These conditions are known as dual-diagnosis or co-occurring disorders and require specialized care for both the immediate medical issues associated with substance use and long-term behavioral care for the underlying mental illness.
Magellan offers a wide array of screening and assessment tools to identify the presence and scope of co-occurring disorders and provides coverage for all components of treatment related to them, including inpatient and outpatient rehab and detox for acute withdrawal symptoms. These conditions require ongoing management well past the point of an initial treatment program.
Magellan and other Medicaid-based insurance entities can help offset the ongoing cost of care for these often-expensive treatment modalities, including medications and specialist visits.
Get the Help You Need for Addiction Now
You don’t have to let money or logistics get in the way of getting the help you need. Magellan Complete Care strives to make treatment more affordable and accessible to enrollees who have found themselves ensnared in drug or alcohol addiction. Contact an insurance representative today to find the option that’s right for you.