Rehabs That Accept Golden Rule Insurance Plans
Golden Rule Health Insurance is a division of United HealthCare covering individuals and families in Indiana. The organization works with employers and other organizations to ensure members have access to a broad array of healthcare services, including substance abuse and behavioral health. Golden Rule Insurance has been operating for more than sixty years and offers what are known as health savings accounts (HSAs), which are a tax-advantaged medical savings account available to taxpayers in the United States enrolled in high-deductible health plans (HDHPs). The funds contributed to an account are not subject to federal income tax at the time of deposit. Golden Rule Insurance can help Hoosiers who have been affected by the state’s addiction crisis pay for all or part of treatment.
The Need for Affordable Addiction Treatment in Indiana
The state of Indiana is currently in the midst of a fierce and pervasive substance abuse epidemic. Data from the Indiana Department of Health indicates approximately 1,800 drug overdose deaths in the state that year, averaging five residents per day. Opioids continue to be the most frequently found substance in overdose deaths. Public health officials, law enforcement, and other stakeholders should also be concerned about polysubstance use and the rise in deaths involving non-opioid substances such as cocaine, benzodiazepines, and amphetamines.
The drug epidemic, driven mainly by opioid-involved deaths, has evolved over the last decade in three distinct waves: an increase in prescription opioid-involved deaths, a spike in heroin involved deaths, and a surge in synthetic opioid-involved deaths primarily consisting of illicitly manufactured fentanyl. This alarming and unrelenting increase in fatality demands effective ways for those who are vulnerable to access affordable addiction treatment, and Golden Rule is stepping in to fill that need for its members.
A Wide-Ranging Network of Treatment Professionals
Golden Rule Insurance covers substance abuse care services through each phase of the treatment cycle, working with a broad network of behavioral health entities.
This includes but is not limited to:
Coverage for each provider depends on whether or not they’re in network with Golden Rule. In-network healthcare providers have contracted with your insurance company to accept certain negotiated (i.e., discounted) rates, which means you will typically pay less with an in-network provider. Out-of-network providers have not agreed to the discounted rates.
What Types of Substance Abuse Treatment Services Does Golden Rule Cover?
Golden Rule Insurance works with entities providing a broad scope of substance abuse treatment services.
This includes but is limited to:
- Medically Supervised Detoxification – When deemed medically necessary by a physician, Golden Rule Insurance may cover all or part of a patient’s detoxification or “detox” program. Detox is a cornerstone of the addiction treatment process and allows patients to rebalance their brain chemistry and expel the toxins that have accumulated in their systems through long-term alcohol and drug use. The process should be administered by experienced and qualified medical professionals in a safe, sterile, and compassionate environment. Detox programs generally last up to a week, depending upon patients’ progress. The process can take place as part of a comprehensive treatment program or in a standalone clinic or hospital setting.
- Behavioral Rehabilitation – The behavioral rehab paradigm for addiction treatment offers a broad range of interventions and can be administered in a variety of settings. Golden Rule Insurance may be able to cover all or part of members’ inpatient, residential, outpatient, or intensive outpatient care.
- Inpatient – Hospital-based care to address the medical and behavioral elements of alcohol and drug addiction, these services can include detox, rehab, medication administration, and ongoing aftercare in an ambulatory setting.
- Outpatient and Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) – Multiple weekly treatment sessions per week, consisting of group therapy, individualized counseling, supplemental therapies, and more. IOPs involve more frequent and longer treatment sessions.
- Partial Hospital Program – Structured day program that provides hours-long treatment sessions each day
- Residential Treatment Facility – Clients stay at their treatment facility for an average of twenty-eight days and receive targeted, in-depth care in a distraction-free environment.
Scope of coverage is contingent upon patients’ plan types and their additional insurance resources. Golden Rule Insurance may also provide coverage for MAT for opioid use disorder (OUD), transitional housing, post-treatment psychiatric therapy, and a range of other aftercare services that can help patients sustain recovery.
To find rehabs that accept Golden Rule Insurance, start browsing our database of treatment centers today to find the option that’s best for your or your loved one. If you’re living in Indiana and are currently struggling with alcohol or substance use disorder, you don’t have to let money or logistics get in the way of your recovery, your health, or your future. Get the help you need today.