Rehabs That Accept Care First BCBS Maryland
The state of Maryland is in the midst of an urgent and pervasive substance abuse epidemic. Data from the Maryland Department of Health’s Behavioral Health Administration indicates that there were 2,282 unintentional drug- and alcohol-related intoxication deaths in the state in 2017, a considerable increase from the previous year. The jump from 2015 to 2016 was even more significant and largely attributable to the infiltration of fentanyl into the state.
Every available metric indicates that overdose fatalities are continuing to escalate, and residents who have proven vulnerable to substance use disorder (SUD) need more accessible and affordable care resources to help them seamlessly enter treatment and rebuild their lives. One of the ways Maryland and other Mid-Atlantic states have worked to guide their residents toward lasting recovery is by working with major insurance providers like Care First Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) to coordinate rehab. As a result, there have been more and more rehabs that accept Care First BCBS in Maryland.
What Is Care First BCBS?
Care First BCBS provides a variety of individual and family plans, all of which are compliant with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA)—also known as Obamacare—and provide some level of treatment of what have been designated as Essential Health Benefits.
These benefits include:
- Office visits
- Maternity and newborn care
- Prescription drugs
- Laboratory tests and x-rays
- Preventive and wellness care
- Dental and vision for kids under the age of nineteen
- Emergency services
- Mental health and substance abuse services
- Physical, speech, and occupational therapy
Plans also include preventative services at no charge and deductible requirement. Each plan offers a different tier of coverage for SUD treatment services. Care First BCBS also offers insurance plans for residents of Virginia and Washington D.C. to provide for other residents of the region who have been impacted by substance abuse and addiction. Care First BCBS Maryland offers several tiers of HMO and PPO coverage options that are categorized into Bronze, Silver, and Gold levels. Scope of coverage depends upon the level of investment.
What Type of Substance Abuse Rehab Services Does Care First BCBS Maryland Cover?
Each patient’s coverage options will vary according to their individual plans. Broadly speaking, however, the organization covers a diverse range of SUD treatment services, including:
- Medically managed detox. Expert, compassionate management of withdrawal symptoms from experienced and qualified doctors and nurses, most of these detox programs last from three to seven days, depending upon patients’ progress. As they are deemed a medically necessary procedure for the treatment of SUD, plans will generally cover this service, with limited exceptions.
- Inpatient and outpatient behavioral rehab. Higher-tier plans will more readily cover residential programs, which last an average of twenty-eight to thirty days and include group therapy, individualized counseling, and supplemental therapies. Outpatient programs typically last four to six weeks and include multiple weekly treatment sessions per week, after which patients return home to their families, careers, and lives. Intensive outpatient (IOP) programs offer a more in-depth version of the outpatient model for patients who need a heightened level of care.
There are also partial hospitalization programs that allow patients to heal in a safe, structured, and supervised ambulatory setting or sober home. Plans also cover medication-assisted treatment (MAT), including the professionally guided deployment of drugs buprenorphine (Suboxone®), naltrexone (Vivitrol®), and methadone. These services are offered alongside counseling and therapy and are not meant to supplant other methods of substance use treatment.
In October of last year, Care First BCBS awarded over $2 million to community organizations in the Mid-Atlantic region to help bolster addiction prevention and treatment to vulnerable area residents. The money went to resources like group therapy, one-on-one counseling, MAT, community prevention initiatives, and more.
Drug and Alcohol Rehabs That Accept Care First BCBS Maryland
Since the establishment of Care First BCBS in the Maryland area, more and more treatment facilities in state have begun working with them, including but by no means limited to:
- Aamg Psychiatric Day Hospital
- Allegany County Health Department Behavioral Health Services
- Aquila Recovery
- Ashley Addiction Treatment
- Calvert Substance Abuse Services
- Chase Brexton Health Services, Inc.
- Clearview Communities, LLC
- Devaughn Intervention Teach and Treat Option
- Epoch Counseling Center
- First Step, Inc.
- Foundations Recovery Center, LLC
- Harbor of Grace Enhanced Recovery Center
These facilities, along with many others, are all in network with Care First BCBS, which means they have established relationships to make treatment more affordable. Browse their directory of providers to find a rehab facility that’s right for you.
Explore Your Treatment Options Today.
If you’re living in Maryland and need access to quality and affordable substance abuse treatment services, Care First BCBS offers more resources than ever to help you reclaim your life. Don’t let money or fear of stigma stop you from getting the help you need. Start exploring your coverage options today.