Rehabs that Accept ASR Health Benefits
ASR Health Benefits is a nationwide insurance provider covering more than 125,000 Americans for a full range of health care services, including substance use disorder (SUD). The organization offers a variety of cost-effective health insurance products and services, but the exact scope of coverage for SUD will depend on each patient’s individual plan.
The United States is currently in the midst of a fierce and pervasive substance abuse epidemic. More than seventy thousand Americans succumbed to a fatal overdose in 2017, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), yet the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) reports that only 10 percent who meet the criteria for SUD actually receive it. In recent years, insurance companies like ASR Health Benefits have worked to provide more affordable coverage to get patients the help they need to find treatment and rebuild their lives.
What Types of Health Insurance Plans Does ASR Health Benefits Offer?
ASR Health Benefits offers a full range of consumer-directed health plan types, including:
- Health savings accounts (HSAs). This type of savings account lets you set aside money on a pretax basis to pay for qualified medical expenses. By using untaxed dollars in an HSA to pay for deductibles, copayments, coinsurance, and some other expenses, you can lower your overall health care costs.
- Health reimbursement arrangements (HRAs). This plan reimburses employees for out-of-pocket medical expenses and individual health insurance premiums. The HRA is 100 percent funded by your employer.
- Medical reimbursement arrangements (MRAs). This is an arrangement under which employers reimburse the portion of the health expenses incurred by the employee.
- Flexible spending accounts (FSAs). A special account you fund and use to pay for certain out-of-pocket health care costs, an FSA is tax-free.
Each of these plans offers some level of coverage for substance abuse rehab. Check with a representative to figure out what kind of coverage best applies to you.
What Types of Rehab Services Does ASR Health Benefits Cover?
Generally speaking, ASR Health Benefits covers a wide array of substance abuse rehab services, including:
- Medically managed detox. When deemed medically necessary, ASR Health Benefits will cover inpatient or outpatient medical detox to help patients overcome their acute withdrawal symptoms and arrest the medical risks that have occurred due to prolonged and untreated substance use. Inpatient detox programs generally last three to seven days and are guided by experienced and qualified doctors and nurses to help patients safely and comfortably overcome withdrawal. ASR Health Benefits will cover detox if the procedure is administered through an approved provider.
- Inpatient behavioral rehab. Depending upon patients’ specific plans, ASR Health Benefits may cover all or part of the inpatient rehab process. These programs involve staying at residential treatment facilities and enjoying a full continuum of care that includes group therapy, one-on-one counseling, supplemental therapies, and more. Specific treatment modalities will vary according to each facility’s resources and patients’ ongoing care needs. Residential rehab can also include step-down options for outpatient substance use rehab.
- Outpatient rehab services. Very often, insurance companies like ASR Health Benefits will more readily cover outpatient services over inpatient because of the cost differential involved. Outpatient programs typically last four to six weeks and include multiple treatment days per week that include group therapy, individualized counseling, and a variety of different therapies deemed clinically appropriate by treatment providers. Intensive outpatient (IOP) programs offer a more in-depth outpatient routine, providing the targeted care and flexibility that patients need to heal while maintaining their careers, families, and independence.
ASR’s Description of Benefits indicates that most substance use treatment services are covered in a fashion similar to other medical services. Cost-sharing provisions such as deductibles, coinsurance, or copayments may apply depending upon the different types of services rendered.
Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) Covered Under ASR
ASR Health Benefits provides full or partial coverage of certain FDA-approved medications such as buprenorphine (Suboxone®), naltrexone (Vivitrol®), and methadone for opioid use disorder (OUD). These programs must follow approved guidelines set forth by government agencies. MAT must be administered and overseen by a licensed provider who is trained and experienced to help patients gradually wean off the drug. It is not meant to supplant any other element of treatment and should occur alongside counseling, detox, and other components of care. To find an approved MAT provider, talk to a representative or browse their directory of clinicians and treatment facilities.
Finding and paying for quality addiction rehab can be a daunting and costly process. However, insurance companies like ASR Health Benefits make the process more affordable. Don’t let money or logistics get in the way of your recovery or your future. If you or your loved one are covered by ASR Health Benefits and need rehab for drug or alcohol addiction, start exploring your options and reclaiming your life today.